Watch the John Lewis Christmas Commercial 2023 – Venus flytrap
In this commercial
TV Commercial Review
Heart or Humor
The much-awaited John Lewis Christmas Commercial 2023 video is finally here! The advert features a boy, Alfie, who buys a seed in a fancy box from the Christmas Market, and he nurtures a lovable giant Venus flytrap named Snappera.
The music has been written and produced specifically for the John Lewis advert, and it was provided by opera artist Andrea Bocelli, who performs a song called “Festa” (celebration in English).
The advertising agency Saatchi and Saatchi produced this funny and unusual Christmas advert.
The ad is a heartwarming tale of friendship, family, and growing traditions.
The ad follows the story of eight-year-old Alfie, who picks up a seed to grow a “Christmas tree” at a flea market with his grandma. As he nurtures the little seed at home, it quickly grows into an energetic and mischievous Venus flytrap named Snapper. The fast-growing wannabe Christmas tree becomes a life force with its playful personality and gets in on all the festivities, but it eventually comes to an abrupt halt. When Snapper grows so big that he tears Christmas decorations at the house, he’s cast outside in the cold by the family. The tearjerking moment leaves Alfie heartbroken, who’s set on not freezing him out. The advert ends as Snapper is embraced back into family life when Alfie and the family join him in the garden to give Christmas gifts. The playful plant gobbles up all the wrapped Christmas gifts only to keep the wrapping paper and give back the prezzies to the family.
The music is provided by famous opera artist Andrea Bocelli who performs a song called “Festa”, which means celebration. It’s been written and produced specifically for the John Lewis advert. It will be released in longer form as a charity single with a proportion of the proceeds from the sale going to John Lewis charity partners to help care experienced young people and families in need.
The ad comes with John Lewis’ biggest ever range of associated merchandise with a full Snapper collection, featuring toys, a book, baubles, pyjamas, plants and seeds, available in all John Lewis shops, online and in selected Waitrose stores. Snapper will be part of the Christmas at Kew Gardens light trail and there will also be a special AR filter launched next month where Meta users can bring Snapper into their own homes. Meanwhile, a digital advent calendar on the John Lewis app will see Snapper reward MyJL members with exclusive rewards throughout December. The Venus flytrap will also appear on a host of out-of-home, press and John Lewis window displays.
The John Lewis Christmas commercial is a tradition that dates back to 2007, when the retailer launched its first festive campaign with the slogan “Whoever you’re looking for this Christmas”. Since then, the ads have become a cultural phenomenon, featuring memorable characters such as Monty the Penguin, Buster the Boxer, and Edgar the Dragon. The ads are known for their emotional appeal, their use of cover versions of popular songs, and their high production values. The ads are also a huge marketing success, generating millions of views, social media buzz, and sales for the retailer.
The 2023 ad is no exception, as it delivers a charming and touching story that celebrates the spirit of Christmas. The ad is also a clever way to showcase the retailer’s products and services, as well as its social responsibility. The ad is a perfect example of how John Lewis understands its customers and their evolving traditions, and how it creates a connection with them through storytelling.
The ad is also a testament to the creativity and talent of the agency, the director, the cast, and the crew who worked on it. The ad was directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Michel Gondry, who is known for his quirky and inventive style. The ad was filmed in London and Surrey over six days in September, with strict Covid-19 protocols in place. The ad features a mix of CGI and animatronics to bring Snapper to life, as well as a real Venus flytrap that was used for close-ups. The ad also features a diverse and talented cast, including Alfie, who was chosen from over 1,000 auditionees, and his grandma, who is played by veteran actress Miriam Margolyes.
The John Lewis Christmas commercial 2023 is a masterpiece of advertising, as it combines humor, emotion, and innovation to create a memorable and effective campaign. The ad will surely capture the hearts and minds of the viewers and inspire them to let their traditions grow this Christmas.
- Memorable: 100/100. Unlike any other Christmas ad star, the ad is memorable for its unique and lovable character, Snapper. The ad also has a catchy song, a touching plot, and a surprising twist at the end.
- Effective: 90/100. The ad is effective for its clear and consistent message, “Let Your Traditions Grow”, which resonates with the viewers and reflects the retailer’s brand values. The ad also showcases the retailer’s products and services subtly and naturally and encourages the viewers to engage with the retailer through various channels.
- Style: 100/100. The ad is stylish for its creative and artistic direction, influenced by the director’s signature style. The ad uses a mix of techniques, such as CGI, animatronics, and real plants, to create a realistic and magical world. The ad also has a beautiful color palette, stunning cinematography, and a fitting soundtrack.
- Heart/Humor: 90/100. The ad has heart and humor in its emotional and funny moments, which balance each other well. The ad makes the viewers laugh, cry, and smile as they follow the journey of Alfie and Snapper. The ad also has a positive and uplifting tone suitable for the festive season.
- Execution: 100/100. The ad is executed flawlessly, as it shows the high quality and professionalism of the team behind it. The ad is well-written, well-acted, well-directed, well-edited, and well-produced, with no flaws or errors. The ad is also timely and relevant, reflecting current and societal trends.
- Unlike any other Christmas ad star, the ad is memorable for its unique and lovable character, Snapper. Snapper is a Venus flytrap who wants to be a Christmas tree and who has a playful and mischievous personality. Snapper is a character that the viewers can relate to, as he represents the joy and curiosity of childhood, as well as the desire to belong and be accepted. Snapper is also a character that the viewers can remember, as he has a distinctive appearance, a catchy name, and a memorable catchphrase, “Snapper loves Christmas.”
- The ad is effective for its clear and consistent message, “Let Your Traditions Grow”, which resonates with the viewers and reflects the retailer’s brand values. The message is conveyed through the story of Alfie and Snapper, who grow their own tradition of having a Venus flytrap as a Christmas tree. The message is also reinforced by the song, “Festa”, which celebrates the joy of growing traditions. The message is relevant and meaningful, as it acknowledges the importance of traditions and encourages viewers to embrace new and evolving ones. The message also aligns with the retailer’s brand values: quality, innovation, and social responsibility.
- The ad is stylish for its creative and artistic direction, influenced by the director’s signature style. The director, Michel Gondry, is known for his quirky and inventive style, which he has shown in his previous works, such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Science of Sleep, and Be Kind Rewind. The director uses techniques, such as CGI, animatronics, and real plants, to create a realistic and magical world where a Venus flytrap can grow into a giant and friendly creature. The director also uses a beautiful color palette, stunning cinematography, and a fitting soundtrack to create a visually and audibly appealing ad.
- The ad has heart and humor for its emotional and funny moments, which balance each other well. The ad makes the viewers laugh, cry, and smile, as they follow the journey of Alfie and Snapper. The ad has emotional moments, such as when Alfie finds the seed, when Snapper is banished to the garden, and when Alfie reunites with Snapper. The ad also has funny moments, such as when Snapper eats the Christmas decorations spits out the gifts, and says his catchphrase. The ad has a positive and uplifting tone, which is suitable for the festive season.
- The ad is executed flawlessly, as it shows the high quality and professionalism of the team behind it. The ad is well-written, well-acted, well-directed, well-edited, and well-produced, with no flaws or errors. The ad is also timely and relevant, reflecting current and societal trends. The ad addresses the challenges and opportunities of the post-pandemic world, such as the need for connection, the value of nature, and the power of technology. The ad also taps into the cultural and social phenomena of the year, such as the popularity of plants, the rise of Meta, and the return of opera.