Pepperidge Farm ad 2023 – Ted Lasso star Hannah Waddingham
TV Commercial Review
Heart or Humor
Good choice of brand ambassador
In the latest ad campaign from Pepperidge Farm, “Have a Little Taste,” Emmy-award-winning actress Hannah Waddingham brings her unique blend of class, humor, and charm to the screen. The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi New York, celebrates taste and quality, two attributes that have been at the heart of Pepperidge Farm since its inception in 1937.
The ad opens with Waddingham, known for her role in the hit series “Ted Lasso,” inviting viewers to indulge in the exquisite taste of Pepperidge Farm’s baked goods. She effortlessly embodies the brand’s commitment to quality and taste, making a compelling case for why Pepperidge Farm’s cookies, breads, and snacks are a cut above the rest.
The campaign is built on the premise that Pepperidge Farm’s products are meant to be savored, not consumed. This is a nod to the brand’s founder, Margaret Rudkin, who started baking her goods out of dissatisfaction with the quality of products available. Today, Pepperidge Farm continues to uphold Rudkin’s high standards, baking goods with an attention to detail that’s second to none.
The ad cleverly plays on Waddingham’s British roots, with the actress making tasteful observations about the iconic cookies, or ‘biscuits’ as they are known in the UK. The campaign invites consumers to hold their snacks to a higher standard, expect more from their food, and savor each bite.
The “Have a Little Taste” campaign is set to air across various platforms, inviting audiences far and wide to experience the exceptional taste of Pepperidge Farm’s products. With Hannah Waddingham as the face of the campaign, Pepperidge Farm is set to charm audiences and elevate their snacking experience.
Pepperidge Farm x Hannah Waddingham ad Pros:
- Star Power: The ad campaign leverages the popularity of Hannah Waddingham, an Emmy-award-winning actress known for her role in “Ted Lasso.” Her charm and humor align perfectly with the brand’s image, making the campaign more appealing to the audience.
- Brand Storytelling: The ad does a great job of telling the Pepperidge Farm story, emphasizing its commitment to quality and taste since 1937. This narrative promotes the product and builds a deeper connection with the audience.
- Invitation to Quality: The campaign effectively positions Pepperidge Farm products as premium, inviting consumers to elevate their snack standards. This could potentially attract a more discerning customer base.
Pepperidge Farm x Hannah Waddingham ad Cons:
- Limited Appeal: While Hannah Waddingham is popular, her appeal might be limited to “Ted Lasso” fans or those familiar with her work. This could potentially limit the reach of the campaign.
- Lack of Product Variety: The ad focuses on the taste and quality of Pepperidge Farm products but doesn’t showcase the variety of products the brand offers. This could be a missed opportunity to promote other products in their line.
- Assumed Knowledge: The ad thinks that the audience knows about the brand’s history and the quality of its products. For those unfamiliar with Pepperidge Farm, the message might not resonate as strongly.
Who is Hannah Waddingham
Hannah Waddingham is a British actress and singer who has significantly impacted both theater and television. Born on November 16, 1974, in Wandsworth, London, she has been a prominent figure in the entertainment industry, known for her versatility and powerful performances.
Waddingham is perhaps best known for her role as Rebecca Welton in the critically acclaimed Apple TV+ series “Ted Lasso,” for which she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in 2021. Her portrayal of the complex, strong, yet vulnerable football club owner has resonated with audiences worldwide, making her a household name.
Before her success on “Ted Lasso,” Waddingham had an extensive career in theater, particularly in musicals. She has performed in several West End productions, including “Spamalot,” “Into the Woods,” and “Kiss Me, Kate,” showcasing her powerful singing voice and acting prowess. Her performances have earned her three Olivier Award nominations, further cementing her status as a leading lady in the theater world.
In addition to her theater and television work, Waddingham has appeared in several films, including “Les Misérables” and “How to Lose Friends & Alienate People.” She has also made her mark on the small screen with roles in popular shows like “Game of Thrones,” where she played the formidable Septa Unella.
Off-stage and off-screen, Waddingham is known for her charismatic personality and her dedication to her craft. She strongly advocates for women in the industry, often speaking out about the importance of strong, complex roles for women.
In her recent venture as the face of Pepperidge Farm’s new ad campaign, Waddingham brings her unique blend of class, humor, and charm, proving that her talents extend beyond the stage and screen. With each new role, she continues to captivate audiences with her talent and versatility, solidifying her place as one of the most respected performers in the industry.
Good choice of brand ambassador