American Express Ad 2023: It’s For Us
TV Commercial Review
Heart or Humor
American Express, the global financial services corporation, has broken the chains of convention with its latest UK advertisement campaign. The American Express ad 2023, aimed at promoting the richness of rewards and experiences available to Platinum Cardmembers, breathes life into the idea of breaking through perceived limitations.
The campaign, rolling out across BVoD, cinema, online, social, and digital out-of-home, captures the essence of empowerment and liberation. Through a series of vivid and stirring scenarios, viewers are shown individuals shattering the barriers of limiting beliefs and stepping into a world filled with joy and exhilaration.
A notable feature of the campaign is the symbolic destruction of negativity. In one scene, we see kite surfers dramatically crashing through the word ‘don’t,’ while in another, spectators at a cricket match smash a ball through the word ‘never.’ In yet another striking scene, diners in a hibachi restaurant set the word ‘won’t’ ablaze. Each scene metaphorically represents how Platinum Cardmembers can break free from constraints and embrace more fulfilling experiences.
But the campaign isn’t just about breaking barriers; it’s also about the enticing rewards and privileges available to American Express Platinum Cardmembers. From late hotel checkouts and dining credits to tickets for sporting and cultural events, the campaign highlights the diverse range of benefits cardholders can enjoy. There’s also mention of airport lounge access and worldwide travel insurance, indicating that the Platinum Card is designed to cater to the lifestyle needs of modern consumers.
The creative energy behind the campaign comes from DENTSU CREATIVE, while Wade Brothers captured the mesmerizing photography at RW2. Ryan Patrick and Bullion directed the films, lending a touch of cinematic brilliance to the adverts. Providing the energetic soundtrack is the pulse-pounding track ‘Who’s Gonna Be the GOAT?’ by De Staat, which further amplifies the campaign’s vibrant energy.
American Express Ad 2023 Analyze
- Creative Approach: The advert uses a very creative and symbolic approach to communicate its message. By showing people physically breaking through words of limitation, it creates a powerful visual metaphor for the freedom and empowerment offered by the American Express Platinum Card.
- Broad Range of Rewards: The advertisement effectively showcases the diverse range of rewards available to Platinum Cardmembers, which could attract potential customers looking for a card with extensive benefits.
- High Energy and Engagement: The energetic soundtrack and dynamic visuals create an engaging viewing experience. It’s likely to capture and retain viewers’ attention, increasing the ad’s impact and recall.
- Lack of Specifics: Although the advertisement hints at a range of rewards, it doesn’t provide much detail about specific benefits or how they compare to other cards. This could make it less persuasive to potential customers who are comparison shopping.
- Possible Misinterpretation: The metaphorical approach, while creative, could potentially be misunderstood or overlooked by some viewers, reducing the ad’s effectiveness.
- Risk of Negativity: The use of negative words (even though they’re being destroyed) might associate the brand with negativity on a subconscious level for some viewers.
At its core, the campaign celebrates the power of positivity and the freedom to enjoy life’s rewards without restraint. It’s a stylish reminder that removing just one negative word can make all the difference and a testament to American Express’s commitment to empowering its Platinum Cardmembers to reach beyond limitations. This new advertisement is a captivating journey through the exhilarating American Express Platinum Cardmembers’ world.
American Express Ad 2023 Credits
CLIENT: American Express UK
ADVERTISING AGENCY: Dentsu Creative London
MEDIA AGENCY: UM
GLOBAL CLIENTS CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER: Julie Scelzo
EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Sue Higgs
EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR / COPY WRITER: Tom Smith
EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR / ART DIRECTOR: Darren Urquhart
BUSINESS DIRECTOR: David McColl
SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR: Sophie Gorman
SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER: Madeleine Burton
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: Ottilie Stephenson
HEAD OF STRATEGY: June Fong
AGENCY HEAD OF INTERGRATED PRODUCTION: Callum Furminger
AGENCY SENIOR PRODUCER: Elaine Coyle
AGENCY PRODUCTION ASSISTANT: Cordelia Grossman
HEAD OF DESIGN: Alex Fairman
SENIOR DESIGNER: Fabrizio Festa
SENIOR ARTWORKER: Chris Holiday
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Bullion Productions
DIRECTOR: Ryan Patrick
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Guy Fuhrer
PRODUCER: Joel Spencer
EDITOR HOUSE: The Quarry
EDITOR: Megan Thorne
POST-PRODUCTION COMPANY: Electric Theatre Collective
COLOURIST: Jason Wallis
VFX 2D LEAD: Petter Lindholm
CGI LEAD: Greg McKneally
HEAD OF PRODUCTION/EXEC PRODUCER: Matt Williams
POST PRODUCTION PRODUCER: Emma Hughes
SOUND POST PRODUCTION: Wave
SOUND ENGINEER: Jack Patterson
SOUND PRODUCER: Ellie Brandwood
PHOTOGRAPHERS: The Wade Brothers
PHOTOGRAPHERS AGENT: Making Pictures
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Nomad Productions
PRODUCERS: Damon Macdonald, Coco Wolf, Jesse Stagg.
RETOUCHING: Alex Stout, Gareth Ling, Jim Wooten
I like it!