Griffey Duo Hits Home Run? Anheuser-Busch’s Swing for Redemption Amid Bud Light Controversy
In this commercial
TV Commercial Review
Heart or Humor
It’s a good commercia
In an effort to salvage its tarnished image following the Bud Light-Dylan Mulvaney debacle, Anheuser-Busch has upped its game with a fresh Budweiser commercial. The ad, which launched on YouTube ahead of Father’s Day, stars baseball legends Ken Griffey Jr. and Sr. sharing a couch and a cold Budweiser. However, whether this sentimental approach will restore the brand’s battered reputation remains uncertain.
The 30-second commercial showcases the father-son duo, relaxed and enjoying Budweiser beers as memorable highlights from their respective careers play in the background. This is the first video Budweiser has posted on its official YouTube channel since April’s “Shared Spirit” commercial. It only added fuel to the flames ignited by the Bud Light-Mulvaney fiasco.
Courageously, Budweiser left the comment section open for this latest ad. The feedback, unsurprisingly, is ruthless, reflecting the residual animosity from the previous Bud Light controversy. Yet, the company deserves credit for welcoming customer feedback, a decision Bud Light abstained from with its “Shower Beer” commercial.
However, the damage caused by the Bud Light controversy is not confined to its YouTube comments. Bud Light and Anheuser-Busch have been hit hard over the past two months, with declining sales and plummeting stock prices. The fallout even overshadowed the typically busy Memorial Day weekend, with Budweiser and Bud Light experiencing reduced demand.
In a separate attempt to rebound, the beer giant partnered with Harley-Davidson last month to release a special edition can for Memorial Day. This outreach didn’t exactly resonate with consumers, further proving the difficulty in navigating the post-Mulvaney landscape.
Despite the current turmoil, the new Budweiser commercial has its merits. The Griffey family’s appeal and the heartwarming father-son bonding over beer is a powerful image. Yet, it seems it may take more time and strategy for Budweiser, Bud Light, and the broader Anheuser-Busch portfolio to shake off the lingering cloud of the Mulvaney controversy.
- Humanizing Appeal: The commercial strikes an emotional chord by featuring the celebrated father-son baseball duo, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sr., thereby connecting with fans and families alike.
- Open Feedback: By keeping the comments section open on YouTube, Budweiser shows it values customer feedback and is open to constructive criticism.
- Association with Legends: The association of the Budweiser brand with the Griffey family can help the company tap into the popular baseball fan base and drive positive association.
- Lingering Resentment: The recent controversies involving Bud Light and Dylan Mulvaney still overshadow the new commercial, leading to harsh comments and potentially damaging the brand’s image.
- Unresolved Issue: The commercial doesn’t address or apologize for the recent controversies. This oversight may leave some customers feeling unheard and undervalued.
- Market Impact: The Mulvaney controversy’s negative impact on Anheuser-Busch’s sales and stocks could potentially overshadow any positive effects of this new commercial.
It is a good move.